Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Amazing......

Okay, so it seems like I've been slacking a little bit on keeping you posted via the blog but actually I've been relaxing!!  This is probably a good thing considering we might be a little busy the next couple of months :)

The Taylor family enjoyed a much needed week of rest & relaxation in Florida....

We had a great time hanging out on the beach, jet skiing, eating lots of yummy food and we even spotted a family of dolphins while taking a boat ride one afternoon.  How wonderful it was to get away. At the end of the trip, one of the kids mentioned that this was a great vacation but it would have been so much more fun with Maili.  It's so cute to see how they have already adapted to the idea of having a baby sister and are always thinking and planning for her arrival.  Hopefully the transition of actually having her with us will be a smooth one.

We have had lots of fun preparing for our trip to China....reading lots of books, eating the occasional Chinese meal (although I'm sure it's nothing like the real thing!), and learning a little bit of Mandarin.  We can all count to 5 and say hello.  That should get us real far!  And of course, we have purchased some cute little girly outfits :)

So speaking of Maili, we recently received some updated pictures.  I titled this blog post "Amazing" because the way that we received these photos is truly amazing.  In a typical Chinese adoption (meaning the child is at an orphanage or foster care home) the adoptive parents would maybe receive 2-3 updated photos of their child prior to their trip to China.  I had received some updated pictures of Maili from the Shanghai Healing Home back in May but since we had to stop all further communication with them (so as to not jeopardize the adoption) we thought that we probably would not be receiving any more.

Obviously,  I've been reading a lot of blogs and posts on yahoo groups, etc. from other families who have adopted from China.  About a month ago I came across a post on a yahoo group about a family who was in the process of adopting a little boy from China and at the same time decided to adopt a 13 year old boy as well.  Sounded like a neat story so I clicked on the link that led me to their blog and just started reading.  It turns out that this family has 2 older sons who were getting ready to travel to China to volunteer at....The Shanghai Healing Home!!!! I couldn't believe it!  Here is an opportunity for me to connect with someone who will be holding my baby in a few weeks.  This is so rare and unheard of in the adoption world.  I immediately started searching their blog for some way to contact them and sure enough the dad's phone number was right there!  The family was in the process of fundraising for the adoptions and were selling chickens (yes, chickens :)) and there was the phone number.  I contacted the dad and explained who this crazy woman was on the other end and then asked if his boys would be willing to send me pictures and updates of Maili while they were there.  It turns out the whole family was going to stop by the healing home on their way to get the boys they were adopting.   So on June 26th,  I woke up to these precious pictures in my inbox...

What a serious face!  When I look at these pictures I always stop and wonder what she is thinking.  She definitely looks content and well cared for but part of me wonders why she doesn't look happier.  It dawned on me one day that it's because she still needs to know the love of a family.  We can't wait to wrap our arms around her and show her what it means to be truly loved.

You know years ago if you would have asked me if I would adopt, I would have honestly answered no.  My biggest fear was that I could not possibly love someone else's baby like my own.  But the minute I received "the call" and opened the email that contained the first glimpses of our daughter, I was in love.  Truly in my heart this child was mine.  And every day that goes by that love grows deeper and deeper.  Maybe on another date I'll share why I changed my mind about adoption :)

We are so thankful to our new friends that were able to take these pictures for us.  By the way, they sent us about 25 pictures!  I want to show you another picture of the playroom area at the healing home....

I've already mentioned that I've been reading a lot of books on China adoptions and especially ones that talk about the conditions of the Chinese orphanages.  And I guess I'm okay with reading them at this point in the adoption process because fortunately we know that our sweet girl is not having to endure those conditions.  We sleep well at night knowing that she is being cared for in such a loving environment.  But that is not the case for so many orphans.  I came across a video the other day that a family took of the orphanage that they picked their daughter up from.  Here is the link..
http://ouraussiechinababy.blogspot.com/2006/09/yangxi-swi-video.html

Looks a little different than the above picture doesn't it?  Did you notice that there are no mattresses in the cribs?  As much as I've read nothing could prepare me for seeing it live on that video.

We are so truly amazed at God's provision during this adoption process.  From finding out that Maili has spent the critical first months of her life in the healing home to finding this wonderful family who would be visiting our daughter in China. Each step of the way we are in awe.  I never hesitate to recognize God's hand in all of this and of course I know that all of this is not just "by luck or chance" but truly by design.  Amazing.....

2 comments:

  1. She is beautiful! I can't wait for you to bring her home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful and blessed to be where she is. I could only watch a portion of that video link--heartbreaking to see all those children in that orphanage. :(

    ReplyDelete